Friday, November 20, 2009

Rustic Lasagne

So I'm back up on the land- which calls for rustic cooking, and a lot of it. Upon my brothers return from military school, his friend, and my other two brothers- we go through a lot of food. Basically any average recipe must be tippled. And, keep in mind no one just eats three meals a day. No matter how much time I spend at home I'm always shocked to see how fast the food goes. I made this lasagna yesterday with ground venison we had in the freezer that David shot off our own land. It doesn't get more fresh then that!

I simply made a quick no cook sauce of a few cans of crushed tomatoes, two jars of pesto my Mom had, a little salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar and oregano. I layered the sauce, mozzarella cheese, and the venison that I sauteed with salt, pepper, and green onions. I also put some shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano between the layers. Also, I don't pre-cook my lasagna noodles- I just use plenty of sauce and add a little water to the bottom of the pan before I bake it (just pour it in the side and tilt the pan-it will disperse to cover the bottom). I also cover it for most of the cooking so the moisture steams the pasta. I uncover for the last 10 minutes or so just to brown the top. When you can insert a knife easy into the middle and you see it bubbling up- it's done!

No comments: