Friday, May 7, 2010

Fish Chowder for Mother's Day

Blogging from my Brother Josh's school, Norwhich University. Today he is being promoted to Cadet Colonel! I don't know much about the military, but according to the front page of the paper and his face plastered all over it I can assume that it's a big honor. Congratulations Josh. Now back to cooking (the most important thing in life). Post celebration (where I hope there are plenty-o-refreshments) I will be continuing on with the rest of the fam for a weekend in VT. I plan on whipping up this tasty number for Mother's Day Dinner on Saturday night. Although my Mother and Grandmother aren't huge "fish chowder" fans, my Grandfather and I are....and really that's all that matters. I'm going to try Jasper White's recipe- he's respected as a "seafood know it all" in the Boston scene. I plan on serving this "New England Style" with plenty of crusty bread, beer and butter....does it get any better?!?

Jasper White's Fish Chowder:
(serves about 8)
4 oz. salt pork, rind removed-small dice
2 Tbsp butter
2 onion-med dice
8 springs fresh thyme
2 lbs yukon gold-peeled, med dice
5 cups good fish stock
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
3 lbs skinless, boneless haddock or cod fillets-large dice (rough)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I'll admit, I'm using light b/c of Grandpa)
3 tbsp fresh chives
Get yourself a good stock pot- render the salt pork and then cook until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cracklings. Add butter, onions, thyme, and bay to the pot and saute until onions are translucent but not starting to brown. Add the potatoes and stock, turn the heat up to boil, cover and cook for about ten minutes until they are soft on the outside but still firm in the center. If the stock hasn't thickend up yet you can smash a few potatoes against the side of your pot and stir those in- that will help. Turn to low and season "assertively!" Add the fish and cook over low heat for about five minutes. Remove from heat and let sit for about ten minutes, then stir in the cream and taste for salt and pepper. To serve- ladel into bowls, add the pork cracklings on top and garnish with fresh chives.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I def want to try this out