Thursday, October 29, 2009

If Kendra can do it, so can you!

Please, Please, Please friends- stop buying canned marinara sauce! It only takes a few minutes to make a delicious, easy, healthy, and cheep marinara-(about 1/6th of the cost if you buy it canned).
Last night, my friends Kendra and Jackie came by for some dinner, wine and gossip. I had Kendra make the sauce to prove to her how easy it is to make- so if she can do it, so can you. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how great the flavors are and hopefully never go back to canned sauce again!
All you need are 6 ingredients- and most of them you'll just have lying around.
Very Basic Marinara
Ingredients: Olive Oil, Garlic, Onion, Basil, Canned Tomatoes, Red Wine
1st- Start with a large saute pan. Put a good "glug glug" of olive oil in the pan and slice your garlic (it doesn't have to be sliced super small). Place the garlic in the pan with the oil and start it COLD. VERY GRADUALLY start heating up your garlic and olive oil (this will ensure that the garlic doesn't burn and will let it give off great flavor).

2nd- While your garlic is cooking, dice the onion. Once your garlic has a golden color, add the onion and cook until it's translucent.
3rd-Add the canned tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and let it come to a simmer, then add about an 1/8th cup of Red wine, stir. Pour yourself a glass and drink that while the sauce simmers. Let it simmer about ten minutes and turn down the heat to low. You're glass will probably be empty by now, so give yourself a refill.
4th-Add the basil- I just like to tear mine by hand into pretty big chunks, but you can cut it to your preferred size. Season, and serve!
I like a good marinara with a nice fire- like the one I made tonight! I'm so rural.
Quick note: This recipe is good for about three small portions, I'd usually double it for more than four people, or triple it- I mean, everyone always goes heavy on the sauce. You can also adjust the seasonings however you prefer- add dried herbs, (towards the start of the cooking) red pepper flakes or whatever you'd like!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

How do you make that squash dip you were telling me about?

How do I roast an eggplant?

HELP!

Ryan said...

oh my god, this is the greatest idea you've ever had sarah. Consider me an avid follower and huge fan.

Unknown said...

Nice work Kendra. Now I know where all our wine went!